War Crimes Fugitive, Ratko Mladic, Arrives in Hague


June 3, 2011

War Crimes Fugitive, Ratko Mladic, Arrives in Hague

THE HAGUE — Ratko Mladic, the long-fugitive international war crimes suspect captured on May 26 in Lazarevo, Serbia  arrived at the prison in The Hague on Tuesday to face trial after judges in Serbia ruled against the appeal of his extradition.

Mr. Mladic, 69, was examined by a doctor and a nurse in the prison, Tuesday night. It was decided he needed no immediate care beyond the standard medical examination for inmates, according to John Hocking, registrar of the UN international criminal tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.

His transfer begins the final chapter in a nearly 16-year international effort to find him and bring him to account after he was accused of crimes against humanity, war crimes and genocide during the Balkan wars of the 1990s, including the massacre of some 8,000 unarmed Muslim men and boys at Srebrenica in July 1995.

A number of documents belonging to Mladic were seized during a search of his Belgrade

villa on Feb. 23, 2010. In the documents, the Bosnian-Serb military leader — made notes of important discussions that had taken place in his presence. These documents have been accepted as evidence by the war crimes tribunal in the Hague.

Prosecutor Serge Brammertz says the former Bosnian Serb military commander will be formally charged with genocide at the UN war crimes tribunal at The Hague on Friday. He will be arraigned on 11 charges including genocide and crimes against humanity.

He will be asked to enter his pleas in front of judges Bakone Justice Moloto of South Africa, Christoph Flügge from Germany and Alphons Orie from the Netherlands, who have been selected to preside over the trial.

Also held at Scheveningen is Radovan Karadzic, Mr. Mladic’s wartime political boss. Mr. Karadzic arrived three years ago and is standing trial on the same charges facing Mr. Mladic: violations of the laws of war, crimes against humanity and two counts of genocide.

Brammertz said he now was “cautiously optimistic” about the prospects for the arrest of the last remaining major fugitive, Goran Hadzic, 52, an ethnic Serb general charged by the Hague tribunal with 14 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Publisher: Salient News


1 comment on “War Crimes Fugitive, Ratko Mladic, Arrives in Hague”

Mike

Yasushi Akashi, former UN Representative in Bosnia, admitted in the Washington Times of 1 November 1995, that “it is a fact that the Bosnian government forces have used the ‘safe areas’ of not only Srebrenica, but Sarajevo, Tuzla, Bihac, Gorazde for training, recuperation and refurbishing their troops.” In other words, the so-called safe areas were used as military posts to train Mujahedin fighters from Afghanistan, Iran, Syria, Turkey and the entire Islamic world, free to commit their treachery by attacking Serbian villages and returning like thieves in the night back to the safety of their UN protectors who conveniently looked the other way to these violations. Prior to the events at Srebrenica, these “Holy Warriors of Islam” had attacked 42 surrounding Serbian villages and over 3,000 Serbian villagers had been slaughtered without fear of being reprimanded or punished by the UN. Yet, when Serbs were provoked to retaliate against these Muslim assaults from these so-called “safe-areas,” they were condemned by the entire world.

Comments are closed.